Friday 12 February 2010

Avengers Assemble!

Hello, good evening and welcome!

The Proud Lion blog begins. Rather than fill your inbox with waffle, or force myself to write a newsletter every week - which frankly I have failed at for a year - I shall blog as and when there are interesting things to tell you about in the world of comics or gaming.

So to kick us off, Siege! The four issue event from Marvel is half way through now and issue #2 has a fairly brutal death in it. There were problems with supply last week after the truck coming form the printers was totalled. Half the stock was lost. We now have the replacement copies so there's no excuse to miss out.

Siege is the end of Norman Osborn's Dark Reign and will usher in the Age of Heroes.



April will see the end of all the Avengers titles - New, Mighty, Dark and Avengers Initiative. New Avengers will get one extra issue this month in the form of New Avengers Finale by Brian Michael Bendis and Bryan Hitch.

In May, two new titles will begin.

The first is simply titled Avengers. Bendis continues as the writer and is joined on art work duties by the wonderful John Romita Jr. The team line-up will include Captain America (Bucky Barnes not Steve Rogers!), Iron Man, Thor, Hawkeye and Spider-Woman. That's four stalwart Avengers right there, plus Jessica Drew who is a long-time favourite of Bendis.

The companion title is called the Secret Avengers and I mentioned on the Proud Lion Facebook page that I'm really excited about this.

It will be written by Ed Brubaker - who's work on Captain America of the past few years has made the title one that I enjoy every month. I always loathed Steve Rogers and the character of Cap, but now it's one of my favourite books!

Mike Deodato will join him as the series' artist. You may now Mike from his work on Thunderbolts with Warren Ellis post-Civil War and then on Dark Avengers with Bendis. I first discovered his incredible art work near the end of Bruce Jones' run on Incredible Hulk. This is one of my favourite artists and I'm really pleased he's continuing to illustrate an Avengers title.

The team roster for this book is being kept secret, but silhouetted teaser images have been released by Marvel. Do check them out.

I can't wait. Add these to your reservation today.

No comments:

Post a Comment